- Manchester College of Art and Design, England, (Photography), 1969-70.
- U.C.L.A. (filmmaking and cultural anthropology), 1970 and 1973.
- San Francisco Art Institute, (photography), 1971-73, B.F.A., 1973.
- University of Oriental Studies, Los Angeles, (Buddhist studies), 1977-80.
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, group show, 1972.
- California Museum of Science and Industry, solo show, 1980.
- Pacific Asia Museum, Pasadena, solo show, 1980.
- LACE (Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions), group show, 1982.
- Pacific Asia Museum, Pasadena, solo show, 1987.
- California State University, Fullerton, solo show, 1987.
- The Asia Society, New York City, solo show, 1988.
- San Jose State University, solo show, 1988.
- Fresno Metropolitan Museum, solo show, 1988.
- Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery, group show, 1989.
- MoMA PS1 Museum New York City, group show, 1990.
- Pacific Asia Museum, Pasadena, solo show, 1992.
- Mokatoff Asian Arts, New York City, solo show, 1992.
- California State University, Fullerton, solo show, 1992.
- Santa Monica College Photography Gallery, solo show, 1992.
- Pacific Heritage Museum, San Francisco, group show, 1993 to 1995.
- June Bateman Gallery, New York City, group show, 2002.
- Pacific Asia Museum, Pasadena, solo show, 2002.
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art, included in Circle of Bliss exhibition, 2003.
- UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History,Visions of Buddhist Life, solo show, 2004.
- Shumei Hall Gallery, Pasadena, solo show, The Dalai Lama and His People, 2010.
- Tibet House, New York City, The Dalai Lama and His People, 2011.
- Throckmorton Fine Art, New York City, Visions of Buddhist Life, solo show, 2020.
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- Oakland Musuem of California Art
- Mingei International Museum, San Diego.
- Center for Political Graphics, Los Angeles
Photographic Books by Don Farber
- Taking Refuge in LA: Life in a Vietnamese Buddhist Temple, Aperture, 1987.
- Visions of Buddhist Life, University of California Press, 2002.
- Tibetan Buddhist Life, DK Publishing, 2003.
- Portraits of Tibetan Buddhist Masters, University of California Press, 2002.
- His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Photography by Don Farber, teNeues Press, 2009
- California Arts Council, 1980, for an exhibition of photographs of Vietnamese Buddhist refugees in LA at the California Museum of Science and Industry.
- California Council for the Humanities and the National Endowment for the Humanities,
1987, for an exhibition, panel discussion, and book on Vietnamese refugees.
- Tourism Authority of Thailand, 1990, for photographing in Thailand and producing an exhibition at the Pacific Asia Museum in Pasadena.
- California Council for the Humanities, 1992, for exhibition, booklet, and panel discussion, "Traditional Japanese Buddhist Life", Pacific Asia Museum in Pasadena.
- Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai USA, 1990 & 2005 in support of photography of Buddhist life
- Asian Cultural Council, 1993, to continue photographing world Buddhist life.
- J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, Fulbright Grant, 1996, to photograph and research Tibetan Buddhist life in India and Nepal over a ten month period.
- The Shelley & Donald Rubin Foundation, 2003, to photograph and interview Tibetan Buddhist masters.
- Living History Centre, 2012, for photography of Tibetan life in India
- Gere Foundation, 2012, to photograph and interview Tibetan Buddhist masters.
- Dalai Lama Foundation, 2017, to support the work of creating an archive of Don Farber's photography of Buddhist life at UCLA.
- Annenberg Foundation, 2019, to continue photographing world Buddhist life.
- Fidelity Charitable, 2019, to provide general support for the ongoing work of the Dharma Heritage Project.
- Eastman Kodak Company, donated film for photographing world Buddhist life in 1990s.
- A&I Color Lab, donated film processing from 1990 to 2000.
- Teikyoku Security Patrol Company, Tokyo, supported work in Japan 1990 - 1993